Inspiration: Musical Stories

I will be the first to admit I have little musical talent. My parents and my brother all play various instruments - and have rather nice voices - but I've been left out of the gene pool on that side of music. However, classical music or film scores have been a passion of mine since I was young; I had more John Williams or Hans Zimmer on my iPod than whoever was popular during my middle school days (I'm hopeless in the contemporary genres). Around high school, I discovered online radio sites, like Pandora, which could offer lots of music I enjoyed while introducing me to new music. However, I also discovered that Pandora and Spotify are kind of annoying.

I. Just. Want. Decent. Music.

Then I discovered 8tracks. In a world of irritating online radio sites, here was one I actually had some control over. Here, I could create a real playlist that would then act as a radio: the actual songs aren't publicly listed, nor can you skip through more than three tracks at a time. I created the Creativity Mix first, which was shortly followed by now 81 playlists. At least 19 of those playlists are specifically for writing. I have a lot of fun developing playlists that tell stories, using instrumental tracks and scores. One of my most popular, Story in the Music: Book II, is below:


I have always needed background noise when I write and I find the most helpful noise to be storied music, which is what film scores and instrumentals are. All of these pieces were created to accompany stories; it seems only right that they help to create stories, too. Check out more of my lists here, and many others on 8tracks.

Do you listen to music while writing or reading? Do you prefer silence or other noise?

Comments