Reading Challenge: 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,' Douglas Adams

Reading is hard these days. Case in point, I went to look at my Kindle library for this post and got distracted by that Disney Kingdoms app. Our minds are stimulated in such different ways now than from when I was growing up. Reading was easy, fun, and satisfying. Now that I've become a more digitally dependent person, I have to reprogram my brain for books.

Reading Girl, A.C.W. Duncan

Although I've read bits and pieces of books in the past couple years, and a few required books for school, I haven't (of my own vocation) read a full book in quite a while. To reintroduce my brain to not staring at a screen for entertainment, (1) I'm limited what's on my bookshelf here at school and (2) I want to start off with something I haven't read in a long time but have read previously. My thought process here is that rereading a book I enjoyed will utilize the muscle memory of my brain with much more specific memories. This narrowed the options to a really fun book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.


Today, I don't have class until this afternoon and I have housekeeping activities to break up the reading. I'm giving myself the challenge of reading at least 100 pages of this sci-fi classic before class; considering I once held the title of 'speed-reader,' I'm pretty sure I can pass up this goal but I have to factor in the difficulties of focus. Let's get started:

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun ..."


Comments